I've started many projects and finished few. My goals for this new venture, or possibly adventure, are few and modest at this time. I recently purchased a Honda CBR250R and I'll try to chronicle what happens as I try to relearn motorcycle riding skills after having not ridden regularly since about 1970. I hope to do a modest amount of traveling or touring, with my first venture planned for the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia. I invite you to follow along if you're so inclined.
Also, I'm going to be posting rants, if you will, about religion, politics, so-called complimentary and alternative medicine in addition to anything else that comes along that I find interesting. Please excuse how the format of this blog/website. Though I have many blogs, I'm a neophyte at best in how to properly design them.

Snap of the Blue Ridge Parkway or the Skyline Drive (Virginia), OK, I fess-up, taken on a trip with my Miata.

Don't Leave Home Without It! Can One Camera Do It All?

June 19, 2012
I should be somewhat embarrassed to admit that I have over 20 film cameras and...well, far-too-many digital cameras. In fact, I have several fairly pricey digital cameras that I've only used once or twice. My last purchase was a Pentax KX (?)...yep, two zooms, a 1.4 that I can't remember the focal length, and a pretty darn expensive Pentax prime lens.
And, with all of this camera power, what do I use? Yes, I use the Ricoh GR II. Even if I take one of my other cameras, which is rare, the GR is always along, and with few exceptions is the only camera I use.
I guess it goes back many years ago when my pal Eddie and I purchased the film version of this camera. At the time it was one of the few point-and-shoot type cameras that allowed you to select the aperture. Since that time, well...it's hard to not pickup the good old Ricoh. Frankly, though I know tons of photographic principles and stuff, I still basically haven't a clue as to how to adjust all of the stuff this camera will do. I keep it kind of simple as far as setting the controls. And, I follow through with doing almost no post processing.
If you look at this camera feature-for-feature, most of us would say it has nothing to offer. And, that may well be the conclusion you might arrive at.
It is a fixed lens. Yep, 28 MM and that's that. No zoom.......!
Wow, that's too wide angle for much of any kind of photography! And, you may be right.
All I know, is I really, really, like this little camera. It's small and is one of the few small digital cameras that you can get an optional clip-on viewfinder. Remember, if it ain't got no viewfinder it ain't no camera.
The Ricoh GR, the first digital camera is noted for its film-like black and white photos. Yep, about a year ago...I succumbed the the siren call of the original GR digital and bought one from a shop in England. Yes, that I did. OK, so, I have poor impulse control.
And, my pal Eddie, yes, a few months ago he bought the latest, the GR4.
I have several travel-type blogs that have tons of photos, yes, all taken with the GR.
I may go to an SCCA race this year. If I do, I think I'm only going to take my GR and see what I can do, if anything, with a 28 MM. And, yes, I'm going to leave my Canon 2.8 zoom at home....
BTW, all the snaps on this blog, except for the "three motorcycles" were taken with the GR. Well, the "doctor and nurse" photo was taken with the film version of the GR, yes, 28 MM. And, yes, taken many years ago....


A picture of my pup.... Her name is Sophie; however, I refer to her as The Moose. She's now 80 pounds (I think in the photo she may be 20/25 pounds) and a real challenge. Yes, taken with the GR....
And, so it goes.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outside the dealership....

Outside the dealership....
Yes, taking delivery of my new bike, May 17, 2012. The Marsee tank bag fits nicely. It's the strap-on type and you can get to the gas filler by unsnapping two of the straps. It is not in the way; however, it does expand upwards. My rainsuit is strapped to the seat.

OK, I promise to keep snaps of me to a minimum.

OK, I promise to keep snaps of me to a minimum.
Yeah, I know. I look pretty old. Actually, I'm only 25, the years have been tough and they've taken their toll.

Ortlieb Large Dry Bag (Rack-Pack)

Ortlieb Large Dry Bag (Rack-Pack)

I was on the verge of placing an order with Aerostich for Ortlieb saddlebags and decided to see how this bag would work. It’s the large Ortlieb dry bag. It cavernous and holds a whopping 2990 cubic inches. And, no it’s not filled to capacity, I just stuffed it with some clothes. The bungees I happened to have, though if I decide to use this as shown, I’m going to order six ROC straps. The only things that I can think of that I’ll be packing that are damageable or breakable are my netbook and two small cameras. The cameras I can put in the tank bag and the netbook I can wrap in clothes. I know one thing, if I do decide to use this bag I’m going to have to do some stretching exercises, as I will surely not be able to throw my leg over this. Yes, definitely a step-through situation.